Boston College Newspapers
About the newspaper collection
The Boston College student newspaper began publication in November 1919. Issues from 1919-2015 are available online. For current news, see the paper's website: http://bcheights.com. Copyright for 1970 to the present is held by the Heights, Inc. Copyright for 1964-1970 is held by the Trustees of Boston College. Issues from 1919-1963 are in the public domain.
Formerly the Boston College Colleague, this newspaper presented the administrative perspective on campus news and events, and featured articles about faculty, administrators, students, and staff. In 1992 the Biweekly was re-conceived as the Boston College Chronicle.
A newspaper published by Boston College to keep the University informed about campus news, events, and BC research; the paper also features the work and accomplishments of Boston College faculty, administrators, students, and staff. Former titles include: Boston College Colleague (1976-80), Boston College Biweekly (1980-92) and Boston College Chronicle (1992-present).
Boston College created a newspaper to present campus news and events from the administrative viewpoint after The Heights newspaper became entirely student-run in 1971. The Boston College Colleague, published from 1975-1980, is one iteration of that newspaper. Subsequent titles are Boston College Biweekly (1980-1992) and Boston College Chronicle (1992-present).
The Irish Literary Supplement is a twice-yearly publication of reviews of books of Irish interest and occasional articles and poetry. Founded in 1982 and edited by Robert G. Lowery, the ILS has been published in association with Boston College’s Irish Studies Program since 1986. Digitization of issues through 2016 was funded by the Brian P. Burns endowment, John J. Burns Library.
The Review was a newspaper published in Cambridge and Boston between 1888-1918. Not merely a church bulletin, the Review contained sections dealing with local, national and international news, and had a nation-wide subscriber base. It is important for its reporting of the Catholic Church in general and the Church in New England in particular; its pieces that explicate and defend Catholicism; and its advertisements. The entire 60-volume run is available online and is in the public domain. The online version was made possible, in part, by the John and Ruth Galvin Endowed Fund for the Boston Collection at the John J. Burns Library.
The 885 was the student newspaper of Newton College of the Sacred Heart, a Catholic women's college in operation from 1946 through 1975 when it merged with Boston College. Boston College recognizes the alumna of Newton College of the Sacred Heart and considers these graduates part of the legacy that is the Boston College Alumni.
Published by the Jesuit Conference's Office of Social Ministries in the 1970s, The Sisyphus Papers address a wide range of social issues including oil, the Middle East, immigration, ordination of women, and corporate power. The digital reproduction includes 23 issues dating from 1975 through 1977.
C21 Resources, a service of Boston College's Church in the 21st Century Center, is a compilation of the best analyses and essays on key challenges facing the church today. Covering Spring 2003 through Spring 2016, each issue is published with the intent of stimulating discussion and thought among bishops, priests, religious, and lay members of the Catholic community.
The earliest of the Boston College newspapers, the Stylus was founded by students in 1883. The paper featured literary contributions, as well as alumni, athletics, and other college news. By 1933, the Stylus was entirely an undergraduate literary magazine; it continues as such today. Issues of Stylus, from January 1883 through December 1922, are available online.
Founded in 1829 by Benedict Fenwick, a Jesuit priest and the second bishop of Boston, this is the first of several titles used for the newspaper that is now known as the Pilot.
This is the second of several titles used for the newspaper that is now known as the Pilot.
This is the third of several titles used for the newspaper that is now known as the Pilot.
The fourth of several titles used for the newspaper now known as the Pilot. This title is the first incarnation of the paper under the ownership and editorial control of Patrick Donahoe.
Boston College’s first minority student newspaper, Collage ran from 1977-1979, focusing on the needs and experiences of Black students and other minorities.
A brief resurrection of Collage, AHANA collage ran for a single issue in 2002. The title and the content reflect a deliberately broader sampling of minority life at Boston College by using the AHANA acronym, which stands for African, Hispanic, Asian, and Native American.
Inscape was a monthly newsletter focused on contemplative prayer published by the Jesuit priest Fr. George A. Maloney. The collection held at Boston College and available here consists of issues from March, 1984 through June, 1998.
This is the fifth of several titles used for the newspaper that is now known as the Pilot. This iteration of the paper only ran during 1836 and the first few weeks of 1837, before going on a year's hiatus and being acquired by a new publisher in 1838.
This is the sixth of several titles used for the newspaper that is now known as the Pilot. The title was used twice, during two distinct temporal periods
The Pilot is the seventh and current title of the longest running Catholic newspaper in the US. The paper has borne this title since 1858.
XUL: Signo viejo y nuevo is a 20th century Argentine poetry journal published between 1980 and 1997, during a crucial time in Argentina's history.
A newsletter for "Friends of the Boston College Library", Librarium was published from 1951 to 1962, from the building that now houses Burns and Bapst Libraries.
ailleurs is a journal dedicated to experimental writing that was published in Paris from 1963-1966. Edited by Uruguayan artist Carmelo Arden Quin, ailleurs worked as a point of convergence for South American and European intellectuals interested in the intersection of writing and the visual arts.